Catford Hill Baptist Church was started as a part of a vision to reach London by Charles Spurgeon in 1878.
In 1984 Catford Hill Baptist Church joined with Allerford Church to become King's Church. This began an exciting new chapter in the life of this community. In 2010 we purchased a new building in Lee and in January 2011 Downham Way Familiy Church joined King's. And so in March 2011 we became a multi-site church - one church meeting in three locations. Together we share one vision.
The story so far
- 1880 – Catford Hill Baptist Church building opened, seating 365
- 1985 – Catford Hill Baptist Church and Allerford Chapel come together to become King’s Church Catford
- 1995 – Steve Tibbert arrives to lead King’s Church
- 2000 – Major extension and refurbishment at Catford Hill
- 2001 – South Lee Christian Church joins King’s Church
- 2001 – Start of Jericho Road Project – our mercy ministry
- 2002 – The Feast begins
- 2004 – Further extension to the auditorium
- 2004 – First low-rent supported housing provided
- 2005 – Second morning meeting begins
- 2007 – Beacon Church plant sent out
- 2008 – Third meeting begins
- 2010 – Purchase of the new building in Lee
- 2011 – January: Downham Way Family Church joins King’s
- 2011 – March: Launch of King’s as a multi-site church
- 2012 – Further refurbishment of Lee and Catford buildings
- 2013 – Downham site launches second meeting
- 2014 – Lee auditorium developed to seat 500+
To find out more
To find out more about our history and some of the lessons we have learnt along the way, we recommend Good to Grow, by our Senior Pastor, Steve Tibbert. It is available for £3.50 from the Welcome Desk on a Sunday or online. Buy on Amazon
For more information about King's, visit our About Us page.